Eligible Municipal Executives (MEA) may enroll themselves and eligible family members in medical, dental and vision benefits. Enrollment must take place within 30 days of initial start work date, no later than 30 days after a qualifying event, or during the annual Open Enrollment period, which takes place each year during the month of October.
Municipal Executives also receive Flexible Credits (aka "Flex Credits"), which can be applied to a variety of pre- and post-tax benefits. Some MEA managers are also eligible for $50,000 in group employer-paid life insurance.
The following are eligible to participate in the San Francisco Health Service System (SFHSS) as members:
- All permanent employees of the City and County of San Francisco whose normal work week is not less than 20 hours.
- All regularly scheduled provisional employees of the City and County of San Francisco whose normal work week is not less than 20 hours.
- All other employees of the City and County of San Francisco, including temporary exempt or “as needed” employees, who have worked more than 1,040 hours in any consecutive 12-month period and whose normal work week is not less than 20 hours.
- Elected Officials of the City and County of San Francisco.
- All members of designated boards and commissions during their time in service to the City and County of San Francisco as defined in San Francisco Administrative Code Section 16.700(c).
- All officers and employees as determined eligible by the governing bodies of the San Francisco Transportation Authority, San Francisco Parking Authority, Treasure Island Development Authority, Superior Court of San Francisco and any other employees as determined eligible by ordinance.
- All other employees who are deemed “full-time employees” under the shared responsibility provision of the federal Patient Protection and Affordability Care Act (Section 4980H).
- Temporary exempt employees of the Superior Court appointed for a specified duration of greater than six months with a normal work week not less than 20 hours become eligible on their start date.
Please note that both Blue Shield of California HMO and Kaiser Permanente HMO require enrollees to live or work in a zip code serviced by their plan. UHC City Plan PPO does not have service area requirements.
SFHSS recognizes that dental benefits are a very important part of your healthcare coverage and for maintaining your overall good health. Consequently, City & County of San Francisco employees have three dental plans to choose from: Delta Dental PPO, DeltaCare USA DHMO or UnitedHealthcare Dental DHMO.
PPO-style dental plans, like Delta Dental PPO, allows you to visit any in-network or out-of-network dentist. DHMO (short for Dental Health Maintenance Organization) plans require you to receive all your dental care from within a network of participating doctors.
All SFHSS members and their dependents who are enrolled in an SFHSS medical plan are automatically enrolled in VSP's Basic Plan at no additional cost. We also offer an enhanced plan called the VSP Premier Plan at an additional cost based on the number of members enrolled in coverage.
If you do not enroll in a medical plan, you and your dependents cannot access VSP Vision Care benefits.
SFHSS understands that there are more areas in your life that need additional services, care or coverage. To meet your expanding needs, we offer a large spectrum of additional benefits designed to complement, protect and enhance your quality of life and financial security for your family due to unforeseen events.
Additional benefits range from Life and Disability insurance, which comes with different union memberships, Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs), which allow you to spend pre-tax dollars on health expenses and/or child or elder care, the Employee Assistance Program (EAP), which provides counseling and other mental health services to employees, and a Surrogacy and Adoption Assistance Plan.
Voluntary Benefits are an offer a variety of competitive, group-priced plans and services designed to help protect you and your family in the form of additional insurance coverage and consumer protection services that can help relieve some of the financial pressures brought on by unexpected events.
SFHSS has partnered with WORKTERRA to offer quality insurance plans at the best cost.
- San Francisco Health Service System reviewed and approved
- For new hires, guaranteed issue - no medical history or exam required
- Discounted group premium rates
- Optional enrollment - if you choose to enroll, premiums can be paid by payroll deduction
Go to Voluntary Benefits for a complete list of plans and services.